Overcoming domestic violence and abuse seems to be easy but it’s not. Some think it’s just a matter of one, two, and three, but it requires a lot of effort and sacrifice. In short, it is very difficult especially if the abused women were really affected and hurt by the relationship.
Abused women may still be confused and not thinking clearly enough during this time when they need to overcome their problems they got from domestic abuse and violence.
Some abused women who cannot resolve their problems all by themselves seek legal assistance and medical assistance so that they can easily overcome whatever problems and issues they want to be solved.
As you may know, domestic violence is a serious crime and domestic violence survivors, especially abused partners and children (if there are any), should be given sufficient aid, support, and encouragement. Here are some things that might help you overcome whatever you are undergoing right now:
- Acceptance – Accept the fact that you are abused by your partner. Nothing will happen if you keep on saying to yourself that everything is just fine. Sometimes women do not accept it because they are afraid to face this problem head-on.
- Know the Legal Matters – There are laws that take care of the welfare of women and children who are victims of domestic violence and abuse. Seek the help of an attorney so that you would be knowledgeable enough in every step that you will take towards freedom from your abusive partner. You will feel empowered and protected if proper sanctions are imposed on your partner.
- Seek Guidance – Do not be afraid to open up about your situations especially to your family, friends and some experts like your pastor, priest, doctor, or psychiatrist. These people would help a lot in solving your problems regarding domestic abuse and violence.
- Forget the Past – Though wounds may stay forever, you should not think about the things that had happened because it will just cause more pain and sorrow. Thinking about it will just remind you of how you were abused by your partner.
- Take a Stand – Stop thinking that you are helpless and stop blaming yourself. It’s not your fault. Instead, you should fight for your rights and show your partner that you can face him with great dignity and with the law on your side.
- Attend Seminars – Surely you will have a hard time solving your personal problems on your own. Just look around and you would find organizations to which you may belong. They may help you overcome your problem easily for they are also experiencing what you feel right now.
- Do Some Extra Curricular Activities – Doing other stuff may help you at least temporarily forget the pain and sorrow you are experiencing right now. Do some fun activities where you can find true happiness that can overpower your sadness and pain. In this way, you won’t be thinking of your issues all the time.
- Throw Out – Keep away or throw out the things that remind you of your past abusive relationship with your partner. It will help you forget all the memories filled with anger, sadness, pain, and regret. Instead make good memories together with your family and friends that you will treasure for the rest of your life.
- Bond – Your social life is one of the most affected aspects when you are in an abusive relationship. Now is the time to make up in everything. Bond with your family, friends, and especially your child if you have one. Enjoy every single second that you will be with them as if there’s no tomorrow. Make new memories and experiences that will forever remain in your heart. In this way, you will also forget all the painful experiences with your partner.
- One Time Big Time – It is very hard to release your emotions all at once. But as long as you could, try it. Try releasing your emotions by shouting, throwing things, etc. just make sure you’ll do it once. Release all the things that you can release. Keeping your emotions locked up deep inside is bad for you.
- Give Yourself a Reward – Because of the things you’ve been through, don’t forget to treat yourself. It may be by way of an outing, shopping, eating, or a makeover. You deserve it. You should not deprive yourself of all this stuff for you alone handle the abusive relationship you’ve been in. You need a pamper day to lessen your stress.
- Proving – Don’t think about the things your partner said to you when he is trying to bring you down. Instead prove to him that you’re the opposite of what he says about you. Prove to him that he made mistakes when he tried to bring you down.
- Self -Affirmation – Recognize all the positive traits you have especially those that are being degraded when your partner is abusing you. Make the use of those traits worthwhile and don’t forget to reward yourself in doing this.
- Help Others – During the last stage of overcoming your problems, you may help others who are also undergoing the same problems as you are. This proves that you now know how to handle your situation and now you are ready for your life’s next major turning point.
- Pray – Don’t forget to seek guidance from God because he can help you a lot. He made things possible that once seemed to be impossible. He may help you in all ways. He would never leave you especially during this time of sadness and pain, time when you really need Him most. Just believe in Him no matter what. Trust Him in all his ways for He knows what would be the best for you.
- Thank Everyone – You should recognize all the people who helped you while undergoing this series of challenges in your life. Remember, they are the ones who gave you enough strength and courage to face your fear, to face your troubled past relationship. Be thankful for you could not have survived without them.
Robert Moment is a life coach, speaker and author of several life-transforming books, Domestic Abuse and Domestic Violence Help for Abused Women and Domestic Violence Survivors, Verbal Abuse: How Women Can Successfully Recognize, Respond to and Overcome Verbally Abusive Relationships and Abusive People, and How Do You Find Happiness . Robert specializes in maximizing human potential for happiness , purpose and success. Visit http://www.DomesticAbuseandDomesticViolence.com and sign-up for the FREE Life-Transforming e-courses on Overcoming Domestic Abuse and Verbal Abuse